Java is an application that is used by many programs. It is important that you have the latest version installed. Many problems can be fixed by installing the latest version of Java. Java has a built in updating mechanism that may periodically prompt you to update. However, sometimes it is necessary to manually install Java from the Java website.
Manually install Java
- Open a web browser (we recommend Mozilla Firefox) to: http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp
- Click on Free Java Download
- When prompted, either Save or Run the Java install file.
- If saved, you will need to open the file from where you saved it. (commonly found on the Desktop, in My Documents, or Downloads folders)
- Double-click the Java install file, and Click Continue on any Windows security prompts
- The Java installer will launch. On the Welcome to Java screen, select Install
- You may want to de-select “install the Yahoo! Toolbar” (Or any other toolbars) before clicking on Next
- If your internet browser is still open, you will be prompted to Close Browser and Continue
- It may take a moment to install Java. Once it is finished, click on Close.
- Click the Apple logo in the upper left corner of your screen
- Click on “Software Update”
- Install any Java related updates that are found. If no updates are available, then you have the latest version of Java.